Oscar Orcus (オスカー・オルクス, Osukā Orukusu?) is a character who appears both in the main "Arifureta Shokugyō de Sekai Saikyō" series as a minor character, and in the spin-off "Arifureta Shokugyō de Sekai Saikyō Zero" series as one of the main protagonists.
He is an Atavist, with the ability to use one of the Ancient Magic from the "Age of God". He is also the creator and caretaker of the Great Orcus Labyrinth. He is also one of the leaders of the "Liberators".
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Oscar is young man who has gentle feminine features and a long, slender build.
He wares black-rimmed spectacles and has shoulder-length black hair tied up in a ponytail.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Oscar has a gentlemanly personality and demeanor. He is highly capable of taking care of others due to spending his childhood at an orphanage and helping to look after the younger children. As a result, he has become very adept at various household chores, such as cooking and cleaning. He also cares greatly about his family and will go to great lengths in order to protect them.
Initially, Oscar tries not to stand out too much and avoids confrontation whenever possible. He is afraid that doing so will get him noticed by the Holy Church for his incredible abilities and be forced to serve them for the rest of his life. That all changes, however, after his family was put in danger due to his inability to stand up for himself. Afterwords, Oscar is no longer afraid to fight in order to keep those close to him safe.
Oscar is very intelligent, as well as inquisitive. He enjoys learning about various things and to discuss them in great length with anyone who shares a mutual interest in them.
While in battle, Oscar is a highly capable strategist, whether it is coming up with a well thought-out plan before entering a fight, or having to immediately improvise a new fighting strategy.
Oscar believes that true beauty lies in its simplicity and is unimpressed with anything that may appear too flashy.
Beneath his gentle and caring persona, Oscar has his share of bad qualities. He is quick to lose his temper at times (especially around Miledi Reisen), and is prone to get into arguments. In addition, the way in which he uses his weapons when fighting certain enemies is considered to be cruel by some of his comrades (such as stripping them of their clothes and blinding them).
Oscar has a huge fetish for maids. He considers himself a connoisseur of them and is extremely critical when judging their outfits.
Oscar is very proud about his Artifacts to a point that he will go off on a tangent whenever he discusses them. He will also give them various features that appear to be useless, as well as even dangerous on occasion, to most people. He is especially proud of his glasses and will boast about them at any chance he gets. Even so, he gets upset when people (specifically Miledi) considers his glasses to be his only defining trait.
Powers & Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Genius Intellect - The smartest of the Liberators, Oscar is a genius of the highest caliber, having tremendous intellect that far surpass his fellow Liberators and his contemporaries.
- Master Inventor - Oscar has shown scientific talents and knowledge that are at least several millennia ahead of his times, having used his Creation Magic to create Artifacts with designs that incorporates advanced applications of scientific knowledge. He is also the one who designed and created the Great Labyrinths of his fellow Liberators including inventing a method that can instilled knowledge of the Liberators's Ancient Magic into the minds of those who cleared the Labyrinths as a reward and even designed them to perfectly self-repair and maintain itself should it ever be destroyed.
- Master Craftsman - Oscar is a genius master Synergist, being the most powerful user of Creation Magic of all time and having crafted numerous variety of Artifacts, some that are even considered legendary with the most prominent being the Seven Great Labyrinths, incorporating all the Ancient Magic of his fellow Liberators into his creations. His creation magic successor, Hajime Nagumo, who became Tortus's greatest Synergist, noted that Oscar's craftsmanship is far superior to his own.
- Expert Combatant - While living in the Kingdom of Velka, Oscar was trained to fight by several of his adventurer associates.
Skills[edit | edit source]
- Transmute - The base skill of the "Synergist" Job class. It allows the user to control, transform and manipulate any kind of ores, minerals or materials in any way or shape the user desires.
- Mana Manipulation - A skill to use magic without chants and magic circles.
- Creation Magic - One of the "Ancient Magics" originating from the "Age of God", which grants the ability to imbue a magical properties to minerals, creating a new ore with special traits. It is the only form of Magic which allows the creation of an "Artifact". Creation magic requires one to have the transmutation magic to fully utilizes its true capabilities which is why Yue did not intend to learn it at first as it was useless for her. The true power of this magic is the ability to 'interfere with any inorganic material'.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- (Oscar's recorded message): "I congratulate you on overcoming my trial. My name is Oscar Orcus. I am the man who created this labyrinth. I suppose to the world I’m known as a maverick. By the way, please spare me the questions. This is nothing more than a recording I left behind, so I unfortunately cannot answer any queries you may have. I wanted to tell those who made it this far why it was that we, who learned the truth of the world, chose to fight against the gods... so I decided to leave a message. And this was the simplest form to convey that message in. I want you to know... that though we were mavericks, we were not truly rebels.— I have no idea who you are, or why you chose to fight your way down here. Nor do I have any intention of forcing my own dreams of the gods’ demise onto you. I simply wanted you to know what it was we fought, and died, for... As a reward for hearing me out, I shall grant you my strength. How you use it is entirely up to you. I can only pray you won’t use it for evil. That’s all I have to say. Thank you for listening to the end. May the ‘blessings’ of the gods never reach you."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In Roman mythology, "Orcus" was a god of the underworld.
- Oscar enjoys open-air baths.
- Oscar's Labyrinth is currently the one with the least amount of people known to have successfully cleared it, despite it being the most frequented.
- Proof for conquering Oscar's labyrinth is a ring that is engraved with a circle and cross splitting it into even sections.
- While Vandre Schnee created the Blue Rose Frost Sword as result with his rivalry with Oscar Orcus, Oscar had also created a sword named "Dragon Slayer".