Laus Barn (ラウス・バーン, Rausu Bān?) is a character who appears both in the main "Arifureta Shokugyō de Sekai Saikyō" series as a minor character, and a major character in the spin-off "Arifureta Shokugyō de Sekai Saikyō Zero" series.
He was the former Commander of the Templar Knights before joining the Liberators, as well as an Atavist with the ability to use one of the Ancient Magics from the "Age of God". He was also the creator and caretaker of the Barn Labyrinth in the Divine Mountain.
Laus is fairly young man, but looks much older than he is. He has a receding hairline and many wrinkles on his face.
Laus later shaves his head in order to hide his thinning hair.
After betraying the Holy Church in order to save his son Sharm, Laus loses his left arm.
Despite being taught to worship the Holy Church since his birth, Laus has doubts about following their doctrine. He is fully aware of how brutal they treat those that do not follow their teachings, and he is greatly disturbed by it. Even so, he believes that following the church's teachings is the best option for himself and those that he cares about.
Laus is extremely selfless, as he is cares greatly about his family and would sacrifice everything for them, as well for what he considers is the greater good. However, even though he is very kind, as well as one of the greatest warriors of his day, Laus considers himself to be very cowardly since he initially hesitates to stand up for what he truly believes is right prior to meeting Miledi Reisen.
Laus is very sensitive about his appearance. He gets upset whenever he is accused of looking much older than his actual age.
Weapons & Equipment
- Divine Arbiter - A mace Artifact which was the strongest Artifact that the Holy Church was in possession of. It possesses great strength, magic reflection properties, the ability to control its own weight as well the ability to unleash mana shockwaves when it strikes.
- Breastplate of Nullification - Standard for all templar knights. It has a barrier that nullifies magic.
- Gauntlet of Nullification - Standard for all templar knights. It has a barrier that nullifies magic.
- Iron Boots - Standard for all templar knights. It allows the wearer to walk mid-air.
Powers & Abilities
- Expert Combatant - Laus is an incredibly skilled fighter. He has earned a reputation as the Holy Church's greatest warrior.
- Immense Mana - Being born an Atavist with the ability to directly manipulate his mana, Laus has immense amount of mana, being able to cast a wide number of spells rapidly without becoming fatigued. He is even able to use his signature Spirit Magic to revive the dead.
- Mana Manipulation - A skill to use magic without chants and magic circles.
- Spirit Magic - One of the "Ancient Magics" originating from the "Age of Gods", which allows the user to manipulate the soul of a living being directly. It's possible to revive a living being back from the dead (time restriction applicable), or transfer the soul of a living being from one body to another, or even into a non-physical body as well, practically granting any living being immortality. The true power of this magic is the ability to 'interfere with the negative material possessed by living thing'. To be more specific, this magic could also interfere with things like energy inside the body, such mans, heat, electricity, thought, consciousness, memory. Those who have mastery over this magic can even create an artificial consciousness, and allow it to inhabit any body they wish.
- Soul Shock - A spell that bypasses all defense and strikes the soul directly.
- Phantom - A spell that creates a fake soul to fool people's senses.
- Solid Specter - A spell that let its user have an out-of-body experience. It separates the caster’s soul from their body, and let them then freely control their separated soul.
- Soul’s Repose - A spell that soothes the spirits of those it touches, granting them relief.
- Soul Purge - A spell that separates a person's soul from their body.
- Laus is the oldest of the Liberators in possession of Ancient Magic.
- Proof for conquering Laus' labyrinth is a ring, and a memorandum that described his life.